Wednesday 23 April 2014

Good Things Happen

I spent all  day yesterday working in the rain. There was lawn mowing and hedge trimming to be done, lot's of it. The trouble with wet grass is that it clogs up the mower every few yards or so, and makes it a painfully slow, not to mention messy process. In a strangely masochistic way, the hedge trimming gave some occasional respite from it though.
 
I came home late in the afternoon, really tired, and as I was just driving the last few yards, a sparrow hit the windscreen of the van. I checked my mirror but it looked dead in the road. I hate it when things get killed when I am driving, even when it happens accidentally. I parked up outside home and ran back to the little fellow in the road, planning to at least put it in the garden for it's final resting place. It was quite still, and I picked it up gently and carried it back. As I walked, one of it's eyes opened, but it just lay there. My worst thought now was that it had survived, but was critically injured. I knocked on our front door to show Amanda, and as she came out, we both looked on the tiny creature as it lay in my hands. It's beak moved, both eyes opened, a minute or so later it's legs twitched, and then it was gone. I don't know how it survived such a hard bang, but it did.
 
I'm so happy that it made it, and in the spring when new life is in abundance in the garden.
 
I came across this as I sit here with my morning tea, and look at the spectacular orange of the deciduous Azalea outside the window. I like the authors comment about it only creating positive emotions in whoever watches it.
 
 
Enjoy your day.
 


14 comments:

  1. A happy ending...great.
    I had a wife like that. I had to tap on the window to be let in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, I do believe it gave me a wink this morning from the bird feeder. As for being let in, I do have my own key, but was cradling the birdie in a soft, animal lover kind of way, so needed both hands.

      Delete
  2. So glad the little sparrow was okay, probably stunned.
    I get so nervous when the birds fly low and we are driving, they take so many risks to get the food for the young in the nests.
    It breaks my heart to see the foxes and badgers lying by the roadside, I always hope that they don't have young waiting for them.
    Loved the video, watching something like that I have to ask myself 'Do plants have feelings?'
    Not that I want to make you feel bad with all the chopping you do. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briony,
      Do plants have feelings? Have a look at this previous post of mine:
      http://gary-greenfingers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/are-plants-sensually-aware.html

      Delete
  3. I am so happy the little bird lived. That was really nice for you and Amanda to see at the end of an exhausting day for you Gary.

    The video had tears of joy and thankfulness sliding down my cheeks for God's beautiful creation.

    I hope your weather clears up and that you two have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lorraine,
      The video does conjure up some emotion doesn't it? My favourites were the Irises. I don't know why it is, but whenever birds fly across a road, instead of flying up, the fly down.

      Delete
  4. I love the video. So glad the little bird was OK. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good afternoon Deb,
    It never ceases to amaze me just how wonderful plants are, and the video just shows a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on a hill so I see the birds flying below me and come zooming up the hill like they are riding a wave. I do get birds hitting the windows. It is so sad, some live and some don't. Plus the hawks like to dip into my yard will chasing critters and birds. I have big windows so I am experimenting with hanging mirrors to help the bird see the windows !
    I love that the little bird lived.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Gayle,
      What with hawks, cats, windows and cars, it seems that the little birds are fighting from all angles. I like your idea of using mirrors on your windows.

      Delete
  7. Happy ending! We had a sparrow knock itself out once and lay on our patio. As I went out to move it, it came around and off it went too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! Another happy ending at your end too Sherlock.

      Delete
  8. An uplifting post indeed, it was a nice read for my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Doc,
      Glad you enjoyed. There is nothing like that first morning cup of coffee is there?

      Delete