Thursday 31 December 2015

Reasons To Be Cheerful


I have just read that all the major cities have stepped up security for tonight's celebrations. It reminded me of our trip to London last week, and our entry to the Royal Albert Hall. We mustn't let the current situation stop what we do, say, think or feel. The world is predominantly a good place, filled with good people, with good intentions.

It seems to be a time in blogland to reflect on what we have, and so here are a few of the thing's that 2015 has made me even more thankful for.


Amanda

She is so unique. A woman who is my soulmate, perfect travel companion, intellectual challenger, listener when things are good or bad, my stabiliser. She understands why it is when I get angry at family making a living in Dubai, or simply losing my scarf. She comforts me when I cry and humours me when I laugh (yes, I am a 'sobber' when the occasion arises). She listens, sometimes eagerly, and at other times patiently when I interrupt her reading with a tale to tell. She 'get's' me on every level, is all I can simply say.


Seizure

Last August I was very abruptly left feeling fragile, insecure, and fearful. It was only a seizure as I now see it, but then it became epilepsy, a tumor, or a stroke. Tests would tell, and over the coming months the various real threats were ruled out one by one. I couldn't drive for six months, and on being given the all clear had to be careful not to push Amanda straight out of the drivers seat quite literally. I vowed never to ride my motorbike again, for fear of passing out at high speed on two wheels. It's now sixteen months ago, and nothing has happened other than my decision to get the motorbike back on the road again. I am also thankful for the reaction from family members on hearing this.


Work


As my posts have shown at the time, work kind of kicked off big time during April. We didn't get quite......quite.....quite enough new work to move forward as we had hoped, but we are close, and hopefully 2016 will prove as fruitful. We have met some new and wonderful people along the way, and are now working in some new and beautiful gardens, where really lovely people share time with us over tea, biscuits and garden plans.


Family

I am thankful for the opportunity, ability and resources to make a family holiday happen next year. The entire clan are heading to our special place for a week. 2015 has also been a year that I have come to know and hopefully understand my daughters a little more. It's also really quite wonderful that their partners have felt able to see me as a friend.


Our Home

Although in one of the worst areas of town, we have a beautiful home. Filled with things we have amassed together, with music we both love, quiet, warmth, and a garden. It is our haven, our escape.
We sadly lost our Misty earlier on, but Hobie has missed her more. He doesn't understand that she won't appear at any moment, and howls constantly for her. He used to be a silent cat. He had a strange episode just before Christmas, which must be expected at his 18+ years of age, but he recovered and soldiers on. He has to, as he must now stay forever. He brings us both such comfort, with laughter and frustration thrown in.


Adventure



We work hard, and make sure that we 'party' hard in the spare time. I have been so lucky to have visited many beautiful gardens and houses in 2015. There has been the Hampton Court Flower Show,  The Great Dorset Steam Fair, and our magical time spent in Lisbon. On too many occasions to count, one of them being today, we have walked on Shell Bay, and I am thankful for the way in which this place stills the soul, and enables us to either talk through any issues, or simply switch off as we forage for shells etc.


Friends

I know it sounds a bit sad, but having spent most of my adult life immersed in gardening, I don't have many true friends myself. I am thankful however for the small group that Amanda calls her true friends. Although they have brought me a lot of personal fulfillment over the years, my greatest pleasure has been to see their positive influence on my wife.


Faith

This is a big one. For many years I was a fired up Christian, and have many tales to tell that would knock your socks of regarding my journey in faith. I wouldn't recommend being a church deacon though, as gardening is far easier. I am a human though, and with that comes all of our weaknesses. I have drifted, and although I am at present finding it virtually impossible to remove my foot from the door, I am trusting that He is on the other side still, waiting patiently.


Blog

It's funny, but I never seem to raise my number of followers, and most of those either don't blog anymore or have shut their blogs down. I do seem to get an awful lot of views though, and that is rather exciting. One never knows if the latest post on Miscanthus care or van cleaning will be viewed by someone from places such as Madagascar, Canada or Tibet, or for that matter Worthing Uk. I have found some very interesting, and at times challenging blogs to follow and comment on myself. I thank all of you who have chosen to follow me, and am continuing to get lots of pleasure out of your own blogs. Isn't this whole blog thing rather brilliant?

May I wish you all a super, peaceful and prosperous 2016.

Thank You

(Takes a bow and theatrically waggles a thrown rose in front of him and casts it away, as the curtains close on another year)












Those in the blog world that  I have come to follow.

21 comments:

  1. What a nice post full of thanksgiving.

    May 2016 be a wonderful year for you and Amanda.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although a difficult year in some ways, it has held so many b!essings. Take care Lorraine.

      Delete
  2. I repeat
    Happy New year old bean , hoping 2016 will be a cracker xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too John. I think 2016 will be challenging, but rather fun.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a reflection on your year and relationships! For some reason, your "confession" of having drifted really caught my attention. There's a reason you can't move your foot from the door. I assure you He IS patiently waiting on the other side. I really hope 2016 be year you return and experience a richness to life that dwarfs the experiences of the past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca
      Not sure why I am where I am at the moment. It has to change though.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year. All the best for a super 2016. No more seizures! You've got to read "the Power of the Introvert" You'd love it and it explains much about the introvert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red,the same back at you. I shall look for the book....cheers!

      Delete
  5. Those of us who gain fulfilment from being in, and 'reorganising', nature, are very fortunate people. Get that bike out. All the best, Cro x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed Cro. As for the bike, she is a bit of a monster, and I need to pump the tyres to move her first. Next week....yet!

      Delete
  6. Feel the love Gary you are a blessed man. Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you as well

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. You are very lucky Gary to have someone like Amanda in your life, have a good year, you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never forget how lucky I am Yael. Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a year you had and you've come out the other side. I have a saying 'everything passes' and it does, we've been through a few times in the past and they make you stronger.
    Keep blogging and loving and may 2016 be most of all a healthy one for you and your family.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Briony. It was a testing year, and although we have another week off work still, the mental momentum is building up ready for getting back out there. All best wishes to you from us two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fantastic idea! we all have so much to be thankful for that we too often take for granted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Carly,
      Sometimes the tribulations of life have a habit of overshadowing the good stuff, of which we can all find some of if we look enough.

      Delete