Sunday 21 August 2016

Traditional English Fayre

I wasn't going to get her back on the road because of the risk of a bleed out should I happen to crash, but I was fed up with the concessions already restricting my life now, and so got her serviced and MOT'd. The beast is back, and it was wonderful to spend a solitary morning speeding along on all of her 1200cc power. Like a horse to it's owner, she hadn't forgotten me, and riding her again came smoothly and naturally. I went over to the Purbeck Hills, past Wareham, through Creech, and eventually through the hills that follow the army live firing ranges around Lulworth. It felt good.

That was a couple of weeks ago, and oddly enough we found ourselves back at Creech today, and more specifically Creech Grange, the old manor house of the area. They were having a traditionally English fayre in the grounds. Tombola, raffles, vintage Morgan sports cars, donkey rides, cream teas and Pimms were just a few of the distractions on offer.

Of course we started off with a glass of Pimms before wandering around.


People were invited to guess where Ted had been for his holiday, and the winner would receive a prize. My number was on Alaska, and Amanda's was on Thailand.


In a raffle we unexpectedly won a rather nice bottle of red wine, and so carried off our spoils to the garden and lake for a rest, and to finish off our Pimms.


It was all very nice and 'English', and the estate owners allowed everyone to wander and explore their delightful grounds.



We also met a couple who live in this beautifully restored vintage caravan, hidden within the woods. It transpired that they divide their time between here and London, preferring the simplicity of a small space, wood stove, and only Radio 4 and books. Transport was provided by the pale blue vintage Ford Mustang. Rather a cool couple, and I felt quite jealous of their lifestyle. 


Work is still full on, but will quieten down after October/November,

We have however managed to take the big step of employing somebody full time. They start in October, and I shall make a proper introduction on here then.




9 comments:

  1. When my late mother was young she shared a very similar wagon with her best friend. It was parked on top of a Shropshire hill overlooking the rolling Welsh hills. It was reached by an old Velocette (sp?) motorbike which they also shared. Quite racy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see a post from you Gary. Glad to see you both are still enjoying life.

    Love, hugs & prayers to you and Amanda ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I'd love a peek inside the wagon! Sound like a most interesting and relaxing day. Happy for you. And relieved you've hired someone to assist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a great place to party. Everyone's cup of tea so to speak. I liked seeing all that is happeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you are still exploring amazing and beautiful places still!! Some day I would love to visit your beautiful country!! You always have some amazing trips and stories! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you having fun. Like the idea of the couple with the Mustang. Maybe when my husband gets his mustang restored a bit we can retire that way. Be well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Glad you guys had some fun. And you and Amanda are such a good-looking couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love 'all very nice and English' events and your day out looks a good one! So pleased that you are back on your bike, a good move, I'm sure.
    I wonder in what style the couple live in London? Rather fine, I should imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you will have full-time help...

    Can I assume Ted had not been in Alaska or Thailand?

    ReplyDelete