Monday 9 April 2018

My Body Is A Temple

The winter months have taken their toll on me. Work slows down, and as a result we get loads of time 'off'. I would like to say that this time is spent living healthily and wisely, but after nine months of manic gardening in the heat, with the stresses and time constraints involved, one does tend to collapse somewhat. My fitness and weight go up and down seasonally, and as I get older (57?....damn!), the body needs more and more of the good stuff, and less of the self indulgence. If I ever retire, then I look forward to loads of R and R, too much red wine and charcuterie, whatever bread I want to eat, and travel. For now though, I have to try to keep indulgences under control (always a problem), and self discipline in the fore (always a problem). 


Although it has proved to be useful in the past, I don't like the gym. Working out in an artificially lit room, awhile staring at a screen or blank wall isn't a good use of the valuable time that is my life as I see it. I much prefer to take energetic walks, cycle rides, or kayak trips, and that is about to happen....again. I am fairly fit, and have been told that I have unusual strength, especially for one my age, but I can feel things not so much stiffening up, but settling into place.


And so, on a Monday evening I am learning Chen Tai Chi (something I dabbled with some twenty years ago).
So far, all is going well. I have learnt that to stand on one leg whilst moving isn't as easy as it used to be, but am pleased with the core strength that I do have, and can appear to control the movements fairly well. The teacher has unusual control over his body. I think this may take some time.

5 comments:

  1. Aging is no picnic. I wouldn't like going to a gym either, to boring. May you do well with your Chen Tai Chi. I don't exercise as much as I did when my dear husband was here and we were always working on projects. I've become more of chair potato watching you-tube, to fill the void his passing to the next life has left in my life. I keep trying to get a handle on this new life, and these past 5+ years have taken some getting used to with the new norm, there are up times and down times. Every day is a gift and I want to enjoy not squander.

    May you and your dear Amanda be well and enjoy many times of togetherness with your outdoor activities that bring you joy, not just the exercise you get with your 'job'. :-)

    Love, hugs & prayers for the both of you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. You're a strong lady, and I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be at times. I'm looking forward to some summer tales of your garden this year.

      Delete
  2. You speak for all of us! Damn winter, damn good food and wine, and damn trousers that don't have elastic waists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha....indeed Cro. Here's to elasticated trousers!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anonymous,
    I use blogger.

    ReplyDelete