Friday 4 February 2022

An Ancient Connection



Here's a thought for you. My family know of my obsession with fungus, and the way in which Mycorrhizal fungus fills pretty much every inch of our soil, connect with one another, 'talk' with one another, connect entirely with trees and all plant life physically, and thereby allowing plants and trees to connect with one another. I did a post on plant connection and senses years ago. So, the facts and framework are set in the plant world, it's extraordinary.

A recent walk with a friend had me mention tree hugging. I felt that in the response was maybe disbelief, possibly subtle joking. I know what I have felt when tree hugging, and have heard from others of the strange feeling and connection they felt. Others have admitted that they just felt stupid. I have always believed in a real, physical and spiritual connection between animals and plants. Something quite fundamental.



More fact. Imagine if you will the fact that all animals, and we shall focus on humans for this one, have trillions of fungus on us, in us, bacteria within us have their own types of microscopic fungus. As a living being we are just like the plant life out there, A living communication system waiting to happen. Our senses, sixth, seventh, eighth, there may have been more, have not been lost, but dulled over hundreds of years until we don't need them anymore. Why would we?

Our bodies are still alive with fungus though believe it or not, and these will be connecting through their own micorrhizal network just like in the ground and plants.

See where I'm going yet?

When you hug a tree, hold a plant in a very real way. Truly hold them for a while and not in an edgy and temporary way, my theory is that we connect and actually, on a fundamental way connect through our network, to that of the plant itself. It feels us as we feel it. Why shouldn't it? Without sounding too gross, our fungus connects with the fungus in and on the plant, be it small or tree like, and that connection will also pass through the fungus in the ground to other plants. Hence the Avatar link to this whole thing.

I'm not a hippy, I'm a gardener who has just worked with plants all of his life.

Hug a tree, connect your bare arms and the palms of your hands to it, put your ear to it, talk to it. Make sure you are in a silent place if possible. Try to feel what it gives back to you. Open your senses to it.

Sounds daft, but most of that daft feeling comes from being ridiculed for wanting to do it in the first place from others. What is there to lose? A huge Beech tree is always my favourite.



8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this. I love outdoors and native plant life. I marvel at insects, animals birds trees.
    I always talk to my trees outside and worry when
    the mowers get too close and worry they feel pain then. I did not know about the fungus connection though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn
      I'm the same with plants. They do indeed feel pain, but not in the way that we do. They also feel the loss of a part if cut off, but again, not in the same way as us. The fungus connection is vital to their survival, and not just in communication on basic level, but it's been proven that trees (and therefore no doubt plants in general), use the miccorhizal fungi to also move important elements such as carbon from a 'mother' tree to a tree lacking in the needed nutrients. A true symbiotic relationship.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that plants could assist each other but I did know they had a system of communication.
    A friend of mine told me she hugs trees for strength and looked disbelieving that I'd never thought of it.
    One day I'll try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting stuff Kylie. Plants actually use the mycorrihal fungi to move the chemicals around. Hug a tree, close your eyes and try to 'feel' it. It's a living and breathing thing just like us, but they do it in a different way that's all.

      Delete
  3. I might hug a tree, but only in private. I hugged a couple of young, girl friends the other day. First time for about two years. Hopefully I didn't transmit any fungus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha,both at the same time? You will have transferred fungus, and dead skin, and bodily fluids through sweat etc. Lovely eh? Hug a tree, on your own, and with complete abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete