Saturday 27 March 2010

Fireworks of Spring

It's Saturday, and it has been another week filled with wind and rain. My work schedule went completely out of the window, and so, as is usual in these circumstances, some of it was put off until today, technically my day off. Well, let's just say that I woke up with good intentions of starting the days work, but after the obligatory few cups of tea I decided to simply take the day off.......well, I am the boss and so why not eh? I didn't however feel like abandoning my desire to get down and dirty with plants altogether and so I dragged 'A' into Bournemouth Gardens to have a closer look at what is happening in the plant world at this moment in time!
We had a lovely walk through the gardens, culminating in a coffee in The Square while listening to a busker play the fiddle superbly. A short distance away was another man playing really good music on the saxophone, and in front of us was a silver mime artist recently returned from a three year stint in Hawaii having earned enough on his last summer at The Square to pay for it...good eh? How do I know this you may ask?.......he lived with us for a while, along with an Irish guitar player and a Maori......but that's all another story!
On returning home I had a burning desire to try and capture some of the plants in our garden showing the way in which the warming of spring makes them start to burst into life...like fireworks!.......above is a Sambucus racemosa 'Plumosa Aurea' just starting to open.

The delicate anthers of one of the many Camellias

This is a close up of a 1cm wide sempervivum. We have a glossy black pot that not only has around 40 of these clustered together, but also with singular heads trailing down the sides on their own 'cords'....really quite extraordinary!

Although not one of 'A's favourite shrubs, Aucuba always 'does it' for me, adding solidity to a border. Simply mix these with various Cornus and a deep and rich winter effect can be produced.

The lush new leaves of one of the Hydrangeas firing towards the sky.

Dicentra spectabilis, or Bleeding Heart. An incredibly delicate plant that has to be looked out for underfoot at this point in it's growth.

And finally the Nisparo......is it going to be the year that it starts to fruit.....let's hope so.

1 comment:

  1. Gary, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and you pictures look as though spring is coming on strong in garden. Think I will have to print this post and take it out and see if I can shame my plants into their spring growth (lol). Hope your week turns out good. - G

    ReplyDelete