Wednesday 7 July 2010

Plant hunt

The last couple of days have been blisteringly hot. The grass everywhere is now so dry that in places it crunches underfoot. Despite this, I have still been asked to create a new border and plant it up......madness, I hear some of you say?.......quite right, but the customer is insistant and assures me that things will get watered (at this point keep in mind that earlier, I had planted around 200 bedding plants in a central display. that despite me doing what I can once a week, are now the size of egg cups and dry to a frazzle!)
Still, it is with a determined heart that at the end of yesterdays work, I set of for Marchants Trade Nursery on my way home to find a few of the plants that I needed. Five Sedums and three different varieties of Azalea.

Hmmmm.......not here.......some nice varieties of Heuchera though!

Not over there....more Heuchera, some grasses and Phormiums.

A stroll down to one of the open beds and.......nope.


Maybe the herbaceous sections, given that Sedum after all are such.....

A walk to another bit and they were spied in the distance and put to one side.....now Azaleas.

Nope.......this is the disadvantage of not pre-ordering for collection. But I always like to select my own plants and have a bit of a nose around for stuff myself.

Cordylines and Fuschias....but no Azaleas.......there are thousands here somewhere, just got to find them.

More Fuschias.........saw a few nice new varieties here that I wouldn't mind for my own garden, but come on Gary...........stay focussed!

Fatsia and Fern houses.......carries on walking.......

As it turned out, the Azaleas were right back where I started, just not in an area that I had been, and so here they are tucked up in the van and ready to go.
Not a very exciting post, but just another day out gardening.
Sat here now at 7am on Wednesday morning and there is heavy cloud and a chill breeze in the air, I hope the rain holds off until tonight....will let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Must be hard having to garden against your better instincts for awkward customers. Still the sedums might cope with planting now and it is cooler today

    Looks like a good garden centre - thanks for the tour. I'm looking for a Phygelius - and found it - top right!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, What is that saying? "the customer is always right". Well I just hope all the time and energy you will be putting into this project is not a waste. You will have to leave a little sign so the customer see's it ..."Water Me, OFTEN"... I personally really enjoyed the tour of the nursery. - G

    ReplyDelete