Wednesday 2 July 2014

Preventing Mental Overload

People often say to me 'It must be a lovely and relaxing job, being a gardener', and truth be told, most of the time it is. It's now summer, and we are totally immersed in all things horticultural, as we strive to do the day to day work within the business, tend the allotment, maintain our own garden, and visit others in between all of this. The business itself is the main source of tiredness and tension, as things are once again full on, both physically and mentally, and being of the nature that I am, my instinct is to grab a morning cup of tea, and then fly out of the door with hedge trimmer blazing, to make an early start on the tough day ahead.
 
 
But it's a gloriously sunny time at the moment, and let's face it, there is no real need to start early in order to complete the day. At first it felt really wrong to do something leisurely with the start of the working day, but for a number of weeks now, we have been simply strolling along the beach for an hour, before returning home to start the day ahead. We're about to head down there again in a minute. It's a good way to calm the mind, as we cool our feet, stroll, talk and collect shells.
 
 
The last few days have been really tough, with so much hedge trimming that I feel as though I have been beaten up by a bunch of thugs, but the early walk relaxes both my mind and body.
 
 
I don't know if any of you find the same, but sometimes I sit down with my trusty laptop to write something on the blog, and my mind just clams up, even though there are a few things I could post about. Now is one of those times, and so can I simply just leave you with some pictures of our garden that I snapped at 6am this morning? I promise to try harder by the weekend.
 





 
 


16 comments:

  1. Your garden is lovely and lush.

    How blessed you are to be able to walk to the beach on good weather mornings, and enjoy a walk there collecting shells and taking in the new day.

    Enjoy the rest of your week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Lorraine,
      The garden is doing quite well this year, as we have had plenty of sunshine, and some rain. The beach is a ten minute drive away, ans so quite handy, and always appreciated. Have a really good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Gary,

    No, you are most assuredly not alone with your “blog block”. When out and about I have all kinds of ideas to blog about, sit down at the computer and “poof” all thoughts leave my head.

    I look forward to any of your postings, prose or picture or both. As your walk on the beach settles you, your post settle and inspire myself. – gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there gary,
      I am relieved to know that it's not just me that suffers bloggers block. You are very kind and generous with your positive comments about my contributions, and I think you for that.

      Delete
  3. Makes me want to go to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....Doc, the beach is always a winner in my book.

      Delete
  4. I am so envious ! I miss walking on the beach and recharging with the positive ions (?) that the waves bring.
    It is a good way to start the day.
    Here in Tucson we grab a coffee and head out early to do work because any time after 10 am it is getting to hot ! at lest 100. And then it only gets hotter.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Gayle,
      It must be unbearable having to work in that sort of heat. How do you guys cool down?

      Delete
  5. I am glad you can relax before your day begin. I used to walk to work and it took 30 minutes - one hour a day. That walk made all the difference. I am sure your stroll on the beach has a similar effect.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as though you got the same 'space' during your walks as well Alain. It's so important to give oneself some down time before/after work, as we live in a world that seems to promote restlessness.

      Delete
  6. Looks good!! Enjoy that leisure time. .it will help make you a better and more focused worker the rest of the day!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Melanie,
      We are enjoying the sunny weather while it's here to the max. Our beach walks at any time have always brought about a sense of peace within. Hope the family are well.

      Delete
  7. Never sit down " to write"
    My blogs always enter my head when I am usually doing something mundane like cleaning the dogs bums

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John,
    Ideas usually come to me when out and about as well, but alas, I have to sit down to write them, as I'm not blessed with the ability to walk around while tapping the keyboard on my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing some of the beauty you're seeing. Hope you've had some time to relax and are ready to go again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Sherlock,
    Thanks for your kind comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing what I am seeing at the moment. Although the weekend involved work on the allotment and in our own garden, it was therapeutic, and I am ready to start the week afresh.

    ReplyDelete